What is Group Discussion?
Some of the important definitions of GD?
A Group Discussion is a verbal dialogue and exchange of thoughts and opinions between a group of people. It is a personality test commonly used by institutes where there is a high level of competition.
Group Discussion is a modern method of assessing students personality. It is both a technique and an art and a comprehensive tool to judge the worthiness of the student and his appropriateness for the job.
What is the difference between structured Group Discussion and unstructured Group discussion?
Structured Group Discussion :-
In case of Structured group discussion no leader appointed for the group.
In structured group discussion topic of discussion is clearly defined and students know what is the objective of discussion.
The group is given 10 to 15 minutes for discussion.
Unstructured Group discussion :-
In case of Unstructured group discussion topic of discussion is not clearly defined or in other way topic of discussion with mutual consent.
In case of Unstructured group discussion no time limit will be provided for topic discussion.
In case of Unstructured group discussion leader appointed for the group.
Discussion must be concluded properly
“It depends upon the company which type of GD they prefer to take… But overall format of GD remain the same. Which is stated as below ”
• The term suggests a discussion among a group of persons.
• The group will have 8 & 12 members who will express their views freely, frankly in a friendly manner, on a topic of current issue.
• Within a time limit of 20 to 30 minutes,the abilities of the members of the group is measured.
Prerequisites of a Group Discussion
• Topics given by panelists
• Planning and preparation
• Knowledge with self-confidence
• Communication skills/ power of speech
• Body Language and personal appearance
• Being calm and cool
• Extensive knowledge base related to state, country and globe.
• Areas are politics,sports,science &trade commerce,Industry
Technology,MNC,ect.• Analyze the social,economical issues logistically .
• Listening skills
Benefits in Group discussion
• Stimulation of thinking in a new way.
• Expansion of knowledge
• Understanding of your strength and weakness.
• Your true personality is revealed and qualities of leadership crystallize
• Provides chance to Expose
• Language skills
• Academic knowledge
• Leadership skills
• people handling skills
• Team work
• General knowledge.
Salient features of G.D.
• Topic may be given to judge your public speaking talent.
• Discussion revolves around a specific subject.
• The examiner does not interfere once he announced the topic.
• Maintain cordiality and free expression of thought and opinion
Do`s in group discussion
• Appropriate to the issue .
• Make original points & support them by substantial reasoning .
• Listen to the other participants actively &carefully.
• Whatever you say must be with a logical flow, & validate it with an example as far as possible.
• Make only accurate statements.
• Modulate the volume, pitch and tone.
• Be considerate to the feelings of the others.
• Try to get your turn.
• Be an active and dynamic participant by listening.
• Talk with confidence and self-assurance.
Don’ts during group discussion
• Being shy /nervous / keeping isolated from G.D
• Interrupting another participant before his arguments are over
• Speak in favor ; example: Establish your position and stand by it stubbornly
• Changed opinions
• Don’t make fun of any participant even if his arguments are funny.
• Don’t engage yourself in sub-group conversation.
• Don’t repeat and use irrelevant materials.
• Addressing yourself to the examiner.
• Worrying about making some grammatical mistakes, for your interest the matter you put across are important.
Important points in group discussion
• Be assertive: An assertive person is direct , honest careful about not hurting others ‘self-respect’.
• A patient listener: listening to another person is one way of showing appreciation.
• Right language : Words can make friends & right words at the right time make the best results.
• Be analytical and fact-oriented : It is necessary to make relevant points which can be supported with facts and analyzed logically
• If any member of the group criticizes or disapproves a point, it is unwise to get upset or react sharply.
• In case the criticism is flimsy,the same can be pointed out politely.
• Maximize participation ; one must try to contribute fully, vigorously & steadily throughout the discussion.
• Show leadership ability: A group discussion also evaluates your leadership qualities.
• Accept someone's point of view
• Praise the argument
• Example: Remedial English communication is necessary for college students because they fail in communication skill test.
• Status of literacy of women , is increased from 30% to 70% when compared to past years, in employment sectors organized ,in the IT & ITES field.
• Accept the contradicts view
• Express your argument with few facts, cases, %,
• Newspapers publications etc.
• Express without hurting others feelings.
• Never try to bluff.
• Practice group discussion with friends on different subjects.
• Remember !speech is a powerful weapon.
Topics of Importance frequently discussed
• Is India Shining
• Mobile phones / Internet – a boon or nuisance
• Students focusing on software industry-good or bad
• Child marriage
• India 2020
• Daughters are more caring than sons
• Influence of western culture in Indian Universities
• Influence of computers in medical sciences
• CSR: Corporate Social Responsibilities
• Road Safety
• GenY & Social Media
• Nuclear Weapon
• Women Empowerment